Cricket NSW has welcomed the launch of the KFC Big Bash League and Women’s Big Bash League in Sydney during December.
WBBL 02 will begin with a carnival weekend in Sydney from 10 to 12 December involving all eight teams, with four of the matches to be broadcast live on the Ten Network’s main channel.
The opening match of BBL 06 is the Sydney Smash on Tuesday 20 December with reigning champions Sydney Thunder hosting Sydney Sixers at Spotless Stadium.
The success of the inaugural WBBL season, with peak ratings of more than 400,000 and an average audience of 230,000, has prompted the Ten Network to increase the number of televised matches from 10 to 12 and show ten of the matches on the main network.
“Once again NSW is proving itself to be the hub of Australian cricket,” Cricket NSW chief executive Andrew Jones said.
“With most of the Matador Cup to again be played in Sydney during October, the WBBL beginning with a carnival weekend across the city and the BBL beginning with the Sydney Smash, NSW fans will again have first look at the best male and female cricketers in the country.
“The BBL and WBBL are the highest-rating men’s and women’s sports leagues in the country and we are delighted they are starting in Sydney again this year.”
BBL/WBBL highlights include:
- BBL 06 begins Tuesday 20 December with reigning champions Sydney Thunder hosting Sydney Sixers in the Sydney Smash at Spotless Stadium
- BBL 06 runs across the school holidays with 35 games in 40 days
- WBBL 02 begins Saturday 10 December with four broadcast matches on the Ten Network main channel as part of the WBBL’s standalone launch weekend
- The WBBL carnival launch weekend will be played in Sydney with all eight clubs featuring across a total of eight matches from Saturday 10 December to Monday 12 December
- This season the WBBL will include 12 broadcast matches, up from 10 last season, with 10 of 12 broadcast matches on Ten’s primary channel, up from three last year. All clubs will feature in a minimum of two broadcast matches.
- 14 double-headers for the BBL and WBBL to stand side-by-side
- 47 Big Bash broadcast matches across the summer, including an increase in WBBL broadcast matches from 10 to 12, with ten of these matches to be shown live on the main Channel Ten
Click here to view the BBL06 schedule
Click here to view the WBBL02 schedule